Learn About Foster's Wide Shoes in Toronto
Welcome to Foster's shoes, fitting wide and specialty orthopedic shoes for Torontonians for over 60 years. At Foster's we have always recognized that properly fitted shoes are critical to your foot health and long term mobility. Our business has been built over the years by providing the expertise and the specialty products to keep your feet comfortable, happy and healthy on life's journey.
In 1953, Foster's Shoes was founded in Toronto as the first children's specialty shoe store by partners William “Bill” S. Foster and Thomas “Hank” Henry Newby. Working with local manufacturers, the partners design and create special “lasts” (the forms or shapes that shoes are made on) that are better suited to children's growing feet.
Purpose: Why We Are Here
To provide and expertly fit the very best selection of supremely comfortable medium to xxx wide width footwear in contemporary styling.
Definition of Pedorthics
The art concerned with the design, manufacture, fit and modification of foot appliances as prescribed for relief of painful or disabling conditions of the foot. (Dorland's Medical Dictionary)
To strive to attain the best in pedorthic care and to ensure that the welfare of the prescriber's patient supercedes any commercial consideration.
- Foster’s gain support of medical community leading to advances in children’s pediatric footwear to treat a wide range of congenital and acquired foot problems
- Further medical advances diminish the need for specialty pediatric footwear. This combined with strong market change to canvas running shoes brings abrupt change to Foster’s core business
- Through their research efforts Bill and Hank are in the forefront of bringing specialty adult pedorthic footwear to the Canadian market for those with foot problems
- Among the first Canadian pedorthists to use heat-molded “soft-tissue supplement” insoles with these shoes for diabetic and arthritic patients
- Bill helps create the Canadian Prescription Footwear Association (now The Pedorthic Association of Canada)
- Bill’s sons John and Edward (“Ted”) enter the business and later become the principals of the company
- John and Ted attend weekly foot clinics in Toronto hospitals, working with doctors
- John and Ted become Certified Pedorthists, earning the designation C Ped. (U.S.) and C Ped (C)
- Foster’s changes from a strictly pedorthic business to add lines of contemporary comfort shoes such as Kumfs and Xsensible that are more stylish to complement the pedorthic footwear
- Pedifix Footcare Products added to pedorthic repertoire that includes RX footwear modification, off-the-shelf and custom accommodative foot orthotics
- Foster's imports EasyB shoes from U.K., “The Perfect Fit for Wider Feet”
Have any questions? Give us a call!